Throughout its history, Bologna has been circled by three different sets of walls. We stumbled upon what is considered to be a portion of the third set of defensive walls, built between 1327 and 1390.
The Santuario del Corpus Domini is on Via Tagliapietre, #23. It dates from the 14th century, but the building was renovated in 1687 by the architect, Cardinal Giacomo Monti. The facade of the church is attributed to Sperandio da Mantova, and dates from the Renaissance. The main reason people come here, though, is to pay respects and pray to Saint Catherine de’ Vigri, whose uncorrupted body sits in a chair, surrounded by glass, in the second chapel to the left of the nave. No photos are allowed inside the chapel, and one of the nuns who live in the monastery sits there, watching guard, to make certain that no one breaks the rules.
The Palazzo Davìa Bargellini is found along Strada Maggiore. Today, it is home to the Museo Civico d’Arte Industriale e Galleria Davìa Bargellini. The palazzo dates from 1638, and was designed by Bartolomeo Provaglia. The two telamons flanking the doorway date from 1658, and are the work of the artists, Gabriele Brunelli and Francesco Agnesini.
As we continued to wander around, we found ourselves in the University District. The streets were all decorated for graduation ceremonies that were taking place that day. A celebratory air was everywhere, and it was nice to see it all!
We ended our day with a light dinner and a drink at a bar we found near the university, called Piccolo & Sublime, which we liked quite a bit!
Next up: A cloudy day does not stop us from getting out, and seeing more of the city!
Note: This blog is written in English and Spanish, and the author takes no responsibility for the quality of any other translations that may appear. If you have enjoyed this post, please, check out our archives for more posts from Bologna, as well as other Italian destinations. Grazie!