The Duomo di Abano Terme, also known as the Chiesa di San Lorenzo Martire, dates from 1780, even though a church by the same name existed on the site as far back as 1077. The church we see today is the work of the architect Domenico Cerato, with the exception of the facade, which was later redone by Efrem Ferrari. The bell tower, or campanile, is all that remains of the original church, and also dates from 1077. The facade of the church is adorned with four small sculptures, which are the work of the artist Luigi Strazzabosco, and depict the elements that represent the four evangelists: the ox, the eagle, the lion and the angel. The iron door is by the artist Toni Benetton.
On the steps leading into the church, you will see an ancient well, which was left there, as a reminder to all, of just how important the town’s spring water is to its citizens.
The two statues on the counterfacade, depicting faith and hope, are by Domenico, who had help carving them from his son, Tommaso Allio, and were originally in the Chiesa di Sant’Agostino, in Padua, but were moved here when that church was destroyed.
Villa Bassi is home to the town’s main art museum. Unfortunately, we were not able to visit the museum, as the opening hours were limited, and it did not seem to work with our schedule, or lack of one, I should say.
We had dinner at a pizzeria/restaurant next to the hotel. We dined on lamb chops, pizza, and fresh pineapple. It was a nice meal, and a fitting way to end a fun day!
Next up: On our last day in Abano Terme, we brave the elements, and attempt to visit the Santuario della Beata Vergine della Salute, and more!
Note: This blog is written in English and Spanish, and the author takes no responsibility for the quality of any other translations that may appear. If you have enjoyed this post, please, check out our archives for more posts from Abano Terme, as well as other Italian destinations. Grazie!